Planning a Funeral
At Columbia Gardens, we can help be part of your planning process, whether for a recent loss or for making arrangements for the future. Please feel free to contact us with any questions you have about funeral planning, cemetery rules and regulations or military honors.
Funeral and Cemetery Arrangements: 67 Things That Must Be Done (PDF Download)
A TYPICAL FUNERAL
While each funeral is unique and different, in general the typical course of events is:
- The funeral home is notified that a death has occurred – either by the family, the hospital, hospice or nursing home staff.
- The funeral home goes to the place of death for removal and transport of the deceased to the funeral home.
- The family visits the funeral home (usually within a day or so) to make arrangements for the service.
- The funeral home notifies Columbia Gardens of an upcoming burial and schedules a time for the family to come to the cemetery to make arrangements.
- The family meets with Columbia Gardens to plan the committal service.
- If there is to be a visitation (wake) it is usually held the day before, or the morning before the actual funeral service.
- The funeral service is held and there is typically a procession to the cemetery for the committal service.
- The committal service takes place at the graveside.
- Many families gather after the committal service for a luncheon to share stories and remember the loved one who has just passed.
HOSTING A RECEPTION
The new event center at Columbia Gardens Cemetery is a beautiful, convenient venue for you to welcome friends and family to celebrate the life of your loved one. Our staff can assist you with all aspects of event planning to make your gathering memorable.
Hosting A Reception
RULES AND REGULATIONS
In order to preserve the beauty and dignity of Columbia Gardens as an active cemetery, we have established a list of rules and regulations, and we adhere to the regulations covering cemetery operations for the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Rules & Regulations
We are proud to do our part in honoring our country’s veterans, and in supporting your desire to respect their dedication and service. We stand ready to help you make arrangements for traditional military tributes.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
No question is too simple or too complicated. Here is a relatively short list of some of the questions we are asked most often. Of course, please feel free to call us with any additional questions or concerns you have.